• The corners, T-joints and balcony should be designed keeping in view the safety.
• Keep in mind the norms/rules of concerned area about building construction.
• Know about the authorities whose sanction is required to start the construction work.
• Know how much time it will take for getting the sanction.
• Search for a qualified architect or designer.
• Prepare house plan according to the area of the plot.
• Arrange structural drawing according to the type of soil.
• Know availability of the building materials, their quality and reputed material suppliers.
• See the availability of good quality of water and availability of electric connection.
• Access the labor/contractor for construction.
• Have knowledge about high flood level and the level of surrounding buildings and roads
Works while Starting Construction
While starting the construction work by contractor at site after approval of the drawings and designs, the following works should be taken in hand.
• The site should be cleared if roots of the trees exist; they should be removed up to 2 feet below the ground level.
• Layout of the building should be done with fixing centre lines and 'burjis' or brick pillars etc. and mark all the walls, columns on the ground with their proper length and width as per designs or drawings.
• Plinth level/DPC level should be fixed keeping in view the H.F.L (High Flood Level) and surrounding buildings and nearby roads.
• Excavation for foundation should be done according to the designs and exact width and depth of the wall should be dug. If extra depth is made due to any reasons or any soft places found, those should be filled in with coarse sand or concrete.
• In case of excavation made through J.C.B. machine, the last layer should be done manually to avoid softening up to the base of foundation.
• In case the water comes in trenches, it should be pumped out immediately.
After dressing the side and bottom of the trenches, the cement concrete, mechanically or hand mixed should be laid in trenches.
The concreting should be done in 6 inches layers and should fully be compacted with vibrator or hand rammer.
• Brick works should be done according to drawings or designs in foundation.
• The bricks should be of the Ist class quality and they should be soaked in clean water by spraying.
• The joints of brick works should be filled up with mortar completely.