There are various types of air conditioning system such as :
Window Air Conditioner,
Split Air Conditioner,
Packed Air Conditioner and
Central Air Condition.
Central Air Conditioning plants are used for cooling large buildings such as big hotels, hospitals, cinema halls, large buildings having many floors. There is heavy load on the central air conditioning system so before installation of the system, expert should properly design it.
Centralized AC Fitting
(This picture is contributed by 'Mishta')
This article describes various possible arrangements of central air conditioning system.
Central air conditioners circulate cool air in the different parts of buildings through a system of supply ducts and return ducts. Supply ducts (i.e., openings in the walls, floors, or ceilings covered by grills) carry cooled air from the air conditioning to the home. After circulation through out the home, this cooled air becomes warmer, then warmer airflows back to the central air conditioner through return ducts.
When the air handling unit turns on, room air is drawn in from various parts of the building through return-air ducts. This air is pulled through a filter where air borne particles such as dust and lint are removed. Sophisticated filters may remove microscopic pollutants as well. The filtered air is routed to air supply duct that carries it back to rooms. Whenever air conditioner is running, this cycle of airflow repeats. Air conditioners help to de-humidify the incoming air, but in extremely humid climates or in cases where the air conditioner is oversized, it may not achieve a low humidity.
Central air conditioners are more efficient than room air conditioners. Central air conditioning unit also provides long-term resale value and humidity control. Central air conditioning units located out side the home; it offers a lower level of indoor noise than a freestanding air conditioning unit does. In addition, they are out of the way, quiet, and convenient to operate. To save energy and money, you should try to buy an energy-efficient air conditioner and reduce your central air conditioner's energy use.
Central AC External Unit
(This picture is contributed by 'Mishta')
The central air conditioners are of two types :
Split-system unit or,
In a Split-System central air conditioner, condenser and compressor are kept in metal cabinet and placed outside the rooms and an indoor cabinet contains the evaporator. In many split-system air conditioners, this indoor cabinet also contains a furnace or the indoor part of a heat pump.
In a Packaged central air conditioner, the cabinet containing evaporator, condenser, and compressor is placed on a roof. In a packaged central air conditioner, cool air supply and return air supply are operated through ducts which come indoors through the home's exterior wall or roof and connected with the packaged air conditioner, as the packaged central air conditioner is usually located outdoors. Packaged air conditioners often include electric heating coils or a natural gas furnace. This type of air conditioner also is used in small commercial buildings.
The efficiency of central air conditioner
depends upon the selection of proper size of air conditioner. If one, install too large unit, than it is not able to remove humidity. If one, install small size air conditioner
, than it will not be able to give proper cooling. Improper installation also reduces the efficiency of an air conditioner
. The efficiency of central air conditioner also depends upon the selection of proper duct installation and it will be hampered due to lack of insulation.
Installation and Location of Air Conditioners:
Central air conditioning plant is installed in the seprate room, where the huge compressor, depending on the capacity of the plant is installed. The shell and tube type of water cooled condenser is also housed in the plant room. If air conditioner is installed correctly, it will perform efficiently for years with only minor routine maintenance.
One should follow the under mentioned procedures at the time of installing a new central air conditioning system :
- There should be adequate space inside the room for the installation, maintenance, and repair of the new system, and provide a door in the furnace or duct so that the cleaning of the evaporator coil can be done easily.
- It should be ensure that there are enough air supply, to deliver cool air and proper arrangement for return air i.e. to carry warm air of house back to the air conditioner.
- It is more useful to installs ductwork within the conditioned area but it should be avoided in the attic, wherever possible.
- In case if duct is provided in attic, it should be heavily insulated.
- The joints of ducts should be airtight and sealed with the duct mastic.
- The air-condensing unit should be placed at a site, where its noise will not disturb you or your neighbors.
- At the time of fixing the air condensing unit, there should be no such objects nearby to block the flow of air to it
- To save the running cost up to 2% your air conditioning unit should be placed in a shady spot, if possible.
- Verifies that the newly installed air conditioner has the exact refrigerant charge and airflow rate specified by the manufacturer.