Varnish provides radiant beauty to the wood and can be mixed with glaze to create various textures and patterns. It's translucent and is mainly used for wood finishing. There are two types of varnishes: Oil varnish and Spirit varnish. The varnish conforming with IS: 347 should be used for finishing and under coat should be of approved brand and manufacturer. Generally 'Copal' varnish and superior spray varnish should be used.
Surface Preparation for Varnish
- All dust and dirt should be removed from the surface.
- The cracks and holes should be cleaned of dust and be filled with wood putty.
- The surfaces should be finished smooth with the help of carpenter’s plane.
- Previous coats of paint or stain, if any, should be allowed to dry and be rubbed down lightly and washed off.
- For exterior work, a normal dry day should be chosen because exposure to extreme heat, cold or damp atmosphere will spoil the work.
- While applying varnish, care should be taken to avoid forming fume or air bubbles. Brushes and containers should be kept clean.
Varinsh application on wood
(This image is contributed by Neha)
Application of Varnish
- Two or three coats of clear varnish should be applied for durable finish.
- Next coat should be allowed when previous coat becomes dry.
- The varnish should be applied with full brush and be spread evenly with short light strokes.
- If the work is vertical, the varnish should be crossed and re-crossed and then laid off lightly.
- It should be completed with upward brushing so that varnish could set, flow down and eliminate brush marks.
- If the surface is horizontal, the varnish is worked in every direction with light quick strokes.
- It should be finished in one definite direction so that it could set without showing brush marks.
- The surface should be rubbed down after each coat with fine sand paper except final coat.
- The finished surface should present an even look and fine glossy surface free from stripes, swelling, etc.
Rough surface, without varnish
(This image is contributed by Neha)
Smooth surface, after varnish
(This image is contributed by Neha)
Note: Special fine haired and properly cleaned brushes should be used rather than ordinary paint brushes.
Varnishing Old Surfaces
- If old varnished surface is solid, it should be cleaned of grease and dirt with turpentine oil and be rubbed with wet sand paper until the surface is clean and smooth.
- It should be dried and be wiped clean with a soft cloth. If old surface is peeled off and cracked, it will be necessary to remove the entire varnish.
Advantages of Varnish
- Provides radiant beauty to the wood.
- Helps in protecting the wood by binding the surface.
- Helps to prevent hairline cracks and absorb the effects of scratching and external damage.
- Helps in reducing the transfer of moisture between the wood and the surrounding weather.
- Provides softness and lasting flexibility.
Disadvantage of Varnish
Becomes yellowish after a certain time.
White (and its various forms such as off-white, beige, and eggshell) is popular and an all time favorite choice. It can be boring and too plain sometimes, but it also doesn't distract. It also makes a room look brighter and bigger.
It's great for just about any room, especially bathrooms and kitchens.
One of the biggest problems you face is -what looks to be "orange" on the sample in the store turns out to be "brown" on your wall. So it's really important to pick the right shade of paint by examining it under different sources of light.
The ceiling is looked at more often in the bedroom than in any other room. Decorating this place is an excellent way to give your bedroom a complete and well-designed look.
The kitchen is a place that requires frequent cleaning and maintenance. So select the right kind of paint.
As children’s rooms tend to be used frequently, it is very important that a high quality, washable paint should be used in order to remove hand prints, food stains, crayons and markers. So use the right kind of paint
Select latex /water based paints for interior walls because they do not fade away easily, less likely to crack or peel and have less odour .Moreover, latex paints are fast-drying and require only water for thinning and clean up.
Very high shining paint is quite reflective and should normally be reserved for doors and trims and to create special effects
Bedroom is a place where you spend the time for complete relaxation , so the type of paint and its finishing is essential factor if you want a neatly painted bedroom.
Paint is the job on which you spend a lot of money and time.
Not only on purchasing but also on labor you have to put extra efforts in choosing the right type, color of the paint, etc. which you would not desire to spend again and again. Hence, some careful steps should be taken
Surface preparation is 90 per cent of a painting job. Even the highest quality paint won’t adhere properly if the underlying surface is not prepared correctly. Good preparation requires the surface to be cleaned and smooth.
Fresh cemented wall should never be painted. Allow the cement to set well for at least 28 days
Outdoor walls always take a beating from the wind, rain and changes in temperature, these results in cracks. They can be filled so that you can get your wall looking as good as new.
When you plan your interior paint job, look at the environment in which your color will appear
Basic things required while painting are:
To do that, measure your room: 3-inch flat brush.
Small angled brush for trim or corners
Plaster of Paris (Pop) provides a thin and smooth finishing to a plastered wall.It needs to be applied first to provide smoothness and a solid surface for the painting.
Kota stone flooring is a subtle blend of grandeur and luxury giving the interior and exterior a gorgeous look.......
To get maximum ventilation and natural light in your house, make sure the building is properly oriented. Orientation of building saves energy and provides comfortable living as well. This article tells you about various factors and benefits of building orientation.
Preview some of the most impressive pictures of kitchen from GharExpert Gallery.
A solid roof on building is very important for everybody living in the house. The roof should be constructed in a way that assures you great safety. Here are given details about different types of roofing.
Frames of doors and windows are most important parts of your doors and windows. They are available in different size, height, width and shapes. Frames hold locks and hinges and support door and windows to shut and open easily. Here is what you need to know about different doors and windows frames.
Tips for Whitewash
Gardening Tips for Beginners
Vastu tips for office
Buying tips for Marble Stone
Kitchen Lighting Tips
Four Way Divertor With Two Nos Concealled Stop Cock With Wall Spout Tip For Tube
Rose Weave Bird Bath.jpg
Neat and Clean Garden
Wood Garden Fountain
Garden bird feeder
Concrete Garden Fountain
Curved Garden Pathway
Animal Theme garden Fountain
Decorative Bird Bath
Garden Clades Pathway
Rake (Garden Tool)
Garden Pathway Made from Brick
Wooden Garden Pathway
Leaf Shell Bird Bath
Fish Garden Fountain
Fixed Garden Fountain