A Garage door is a door of garage that should be large enough to move vehicle in and out. When choosing a garage door you will notice that, there are so many options when it comes to types, opening mechanism and material that it might be a little confusing.
Retractable up and over garage doors also slide up and hide parallel to the garage roof. They run over steel runners and posses small rollers at the corners of the panel which support them. These can be manually or remotely operated with a small remote control. When open, a small portion of it protrudes out of the garage. As a con, we should mention that they are not the most suitable ones for narrow garages, as they reduce the drive through width when open since they have side lifting arms.
So we intend to explain you the different options to know you what you are being offered and you can make yourself an idea of which door would be the most suitable for you.
You should choose garage door keeping the following things in mind:
- decorative style and
- Of course, budget!
Let´s see the most common options for garage door.
You have several types of garage doors considering their functioning or opening mechanism.
- Canopy type up and over garage doors are the ones that rise up and slip into the roof of the garage. When it´s open, a small part of the door remains out of the garage, forming a small canopy.One of the advantages is that they don´t occupy room in the garage and the other is that they are among the cheapest ones. As a disadvantage we can mention that they are operated manually, therefore it requires you getting of the car to be opened, which is not advised if personal security is an important issue for you.
Sectional up and over garage doors or overhead sectional garage doors when opened split horizontally into several panels that through vertical tracks curve themselves and then slip into the garage roof. Each panel has two rollers which provide them with the needed stability and soft motion. That stability and the strength that double skinned panels give them, make them an appropriate choice for larger doors They are suitable to be manually or remotely operated. With these types of doors, cars can be parked close up at the front which is not so with the two previously mentioned types.
Sliding garage doors slide along a track. They have a frame all on the floor and top, and two tracks are responsible of keeping the door in place and directing it. The door has rollers that make it possible to slide easily. They come mostly as single panel doors. Most sliding doors are made of wood, glass or a combination of both.
Roller garage doors are one of the most traditional types. They are made of many horizontal panels that roll up and down on a simple barrel. They are extremely flexible thanks to the small gap between each panel. This allows them to be neatly stored at the top of the garage opening. They can be easily motorized to provide users the comfort and security that more modern types provide.
Side hinged garage doors hinge out on a steel frame. There is no part of it getting into the garage, which may be important when inner room is an issue. If outer space is a problem, you can also find the same mechanism but opening inwards. They are recommended when the garage is not only used for sole car drive through, since only one leaf can be opened, letting you walk in or out without having to open all the garage.
Round the corner garage, doors are the ones that slide towards one side and then curve themselves round and get inside following the garage wall. When outside room is a problem, these doors can be an easy solution. Besides, you can find a two panel’s version, sliding each one in the opposite directions of the garage, which are suitable for wider garages.
As you can see, there are many types of garage doors. You need to evaluate carefully which one adapts better to your home, preference, comfort, and lifestyle. All of them could fit into any home or any style, to provide functionality, security, and comfort. The most popular ones are the ones that slide up parallel to the roof since they do not take side space at the walls. So, the walls generally used to hang shelves or store stuff. Most people tend to choose remotely operated systems since they bring further security and comfort than manually operated ones that demand someone getting out of the car to open or close them.
All the described doors can come in a myriad of decorative styles to match your overall house look and even to meliorate it´s style and give your home a benefit that will most likely surpass the costs of your investment.
- For instance, carriage garage doors will give your house a distinctive touch that will make it stand out among the neighbor´s. It will bring the warmth and sobriety of classical style with modern highest security and quality standards. Design element that makes it distinctive is vertical wooden strips, with small windows on top and wooden details as well as antique-looking accessories. They are mostly done of wood, but they can be done in almost any material and still achieve the same style.
- Raised panel doors are the American garage doors by definition. The most widely used kind of garage doors that in the majority of cases maintain completely the entrance door and windows style.
- Traditionally made of steel panels rolling up, this classic style is also available in other materials offering textures that allow paint to match your home´s décor. You can find fiberglass options of these American classic and even wood designs with windows.
- Architectural glass panel doors can be described as a frame made of stiles and rails surrounding a panel. The rails are the horizontal parts of the frame, the stiles the vertical ones. They constitute one of the best options to combine with your home´s design and style. They allow the combination m of materials such as wood and glass. There are available in classical and even modern designs.
Of course, you can always choose the classical single panel doors, which come in traditional styles and in the most contemporary designs and materials too. Different textures make it possible to give the chosen model of door almost any appearance and style.
As we said, garage doors come in different materials or in combinations of them. Choosing the material for your door has to be based on the decorative options, level of security provided,
Weather, required maintenance and of course, your budget availability!
- Vinyl for instance, has the characteristic of it´s durability and high resistance against oxidation. Besides, they require less maintenance as others. They are usually constructed on steel frames, and are unlikely to bend and they are really lightweight. Their appearance is similar to fiberglass but they come in fewer options of colors and textures.
- Fiberglass garage doors are very durable too and hardly crack or dent, they can break if exposed to a hard impact though. Typically, they consist of two layers of fiberglass with polyurethane insulation among them. The steel frame gives provides them extra rigidity. Consumers chose them for their lightweight and high anti-corrosion resistance.
- Steel garage doors together with wood doors are the most traditional choices. Steel is a high quality strong material with a life span longer than other materials. Most steel doors nowadays built with two layers, with or without insulation. They are prone to get dented but unlikely to break. These strong doors are not the best options for maritime areas since even with an anti-corrosion treatment they will suffer the consequences of oxidation eventually.
- Aluminum garage doors offer the possibility of paint to look after wood doors. Their advantage is that they are lightweight, inexpensive and do not oxidize. They are not as hard as steel though. They are a good choice for big garage doors, since their lightweight will contribute to maintain the opening mechanism in proper conditions, as they are not forcing it much.
- Wood doors have been the classic doors ever. They are the ones that provide the most varied and distinctive decorative options. They can be designed following antique styles of with the most modern creative looks. No other material will provide the warm charm of wood. Almost any size of door can be constructed with wood, and they can be done on a solid frame and panel or the other option, is building with two layers and filled with insulation. Solid or layered wood doors require frequent maintenance such as wood treatment, repainting and protection against climate agents. Even though they tend to be the most expensive options when it comes to garage doors, they still are the most popular choice.
Determine what you expect from a garage door, what concerns you more and search through the wide range of possibilities you have to choose the right garage door for your home and for you!