Kitchen is an important place where ample lighting is required because it starts before daybreak and ends after sunset. The following types of lights create a sense of excitement and energy and make your kitchen gleaming.
- Fluorescent Light
- Incandescent Lights
- Halogen Lights
- Xenon Light
Fluorescent lights are the most efficient source of light suitable for residential use. It lasts for up to 10,000 hours. It produces less heat and helps in keeping your kitchen cool in summer season.
Full-size fluorescent lamps are called tube lights and convert electricity to light four times greater efficiency than incandescent lamps.
Compact fluorescent lamps are 2-3 times more efficient than incandescent lamps. These lamps are suitable for the areas like kitchen where lighting for long periods is required. Tabular fluorescent lights may also be used in the kitchen.
Incandescent lights are most commonly used in homes. These lights are less expensive
to buy and are available in a variety of shapes and sizes. These are placed at such places that are not too often used. The main advantage of this light is to give a crisp white light. The lights are very easy to install and blend well with other types of fixtures. The life span of these lights is shorter than fluorescent lights. The lamp uses a filament
( This Picture is Contributed by " Apoorva Sharma" )
These lights are expensive to buy and last up to 2,000 hours. These are available in tubes and bulb styles. Halogen lights produce white and brighter light
. The lights are most commonly used as accent lighting
. Do not touch these lights
because oil on hands can shorten their life.
Xenon LightThis is a type of incandescent lighting
. It has long-life and can be dimmed if needed
. Xenon lighting can be used for cabinets. It is filled with xenon gas and provides a brighter light
. It may be used as task lighting but it requires transformers.
Things to Remember
- Task lights are best for these places.
- Lighting system should be according to the size of the kitchen.
- Proper lighting arrangements should be near stove and sink so that one could work comfortably.
- Pendant and chandelier fixtures may be used as kitchen table is central point where all family members sit together to enjoy the meal.
- Lights of same color should be used in the kitchen.
- Dimmers should be used for all lights as they save electricity.
- Motion sensor lights are also a great choice for kitchen as these save energy.
- Over lighting can make the kitchen too warm.
- Lights should be installed inside the cabinets if you have deep cabinets in the corner.