60 Tips to Save Water
To provide safe drinking water to its population is a challenge that the world has still not been able to complete. We all should do our bit to fight this global problem. Go through the tips below and if we all can implement even a few in our daily routine this exercise would have a big impact.
Tips for saving water in bathroom
- Turn off water tap when you brush your teeth or apply shampoo or soap while taking bath.
- Don’t waste water while saving or washing your face or hand. Use hand basin/ mug instead.
- Plug the hole at the bottom of tub before you fill bathtub.
- Use bucket for taking bath instead of taking bath under running tap.
- Take optimum use of automatic clothe washer and dishwasher by loading them fully.
- Either repair or replace flush handle if flush handle frequently sticks into flush position and water goes waste constantly.
- Repair leakage in the toilet tank to save water. You can pour food coloring in toilet tank for testing water leak. If the color seeps through toilet bowl without flushing, there is leakage.
- Check toilet tank and flush pipe for damage or rust and leakage. If found any, repair or replace immediately.
- Do not flush the toilet unnecessarily. Use waste bucket for disposing tissues and other wastes rather than putting them in toilet for disposal.
- Apply water efficient showerhead, an inexpensive and easy to install method to save water 3000 liter per month.
- Install low flow flush toilet which requires 4 to 5 liters per flush and saves about 50% water in comparison to high-level flush pre 1990 model.
- Upgrade your old toilet with installation of modern water efficient models.
- Do not put tissue paper in water closet for disposal rather than drop it in the trash to save water used in flushing.
Tips for saving water in kitchen
- Turn off faucets tightly after each use.
- Ensure if there is leakage in any faucet. If exists, stop leakage by replacing the tap or its washer.
- Do not use tap water to melt food items. Switch off refrigerator to defrost them for water efficiency and food safety.
- Wash fruits and vegetables in pan full of water instead of washing them under running water tap.
- Do not wash dishes or kitchen utensils under running tap water. Wash them by filling the sink with washing water.
- Keep drinking water in refrigerator or in water jug than running the tap every time to take glass of water. This way no drop of water goes waste into the drain.
- Don’t dispose of food waste accumulated in kitchen through kitchen sink since it requires lots of water for disposal and increases unnecessary load on septic tank. You can dispose the waste through the bucket.
- Install instant water heater in kitchen to save cold water running while the water heats up.
- Collect the water used for washing fruits and vegetables and reuse it for watering house plants.
Tips for saving water in lawn or garden
- Water your lawns at an interval of 5 to 7 days during summer and 10 to 12 days during winter.
- Water lawns in morning or evening when the temperature and wind is slow. Avoid watering at noon especially in summer to minimize evaporation.
- Do not over water your lawn as excess water goes into sub soil and stagnant water is evaporated resulting into wastage of water.
- Adjust sprinklers while watering lawn/garden so that the water is not wasted on house or side walk ways or street.
- Collect rainwater for watering plants and lawns.
- Choose shrubs instead of turf for deserted areas such as steep slopes and isolated strips.
- Do plantation when the weather is cool or in rainy season.
- Avoid over fertilizing the lawn as it needs more water. Use fertilizers which contain slow release and water-insoluble forms of nitrogen.
- Spread a layer of organic mulch around plants to retain moisture and save water. Mulching also helps to control weeds that share water with plants.
- Plant drought tolerant grass, shrubs and trees as they do not need to be watered frequently and survive even during dry periods once they are grown.
- Use timer to remind turn on or off sprinklers or hoses. Do not leave them unattended while watering the lawn.
- Use sprinklers for large areas of grass. If you irrigate in small patches by hand, it will waste water and your time.
- Keep lawn mower blade at least three inches high since then grass roots hold moisture better than closely clipped lawn grass.
- Use hose washers between spigots and water hose to eliminate leakage and check all hoses, connectors and spigots for leakage.
- Check moisture of soil two to three inches below the top surface of lawn before watering rather than following a set watering schedule.
- Install a rain sensor on your irrigation controller so that your system does not run while it's raining.
- Use drip irrigation system since the water is applied directly to the roots of shrubs and trees.
- Remember to check sprinkler system valves periodically for leaks and keep sprinkler heads in good shape.
- Do not irrigate your lawn on windy days since most of the water blows away or evaporates.
- Water the sloping lawns after a little interval of 5 minute time and repeat the process two or three times to save water.
- Use nutrient-rich water for your plants and garden while cleaning fish tanks.
- Group plants together according to their requirements of watering to avoid over watering some plants while under watering the others.
- Aerate your lawn at least once a year so that the water can reach the roots rather than run over the surface.
Tips for saving water in water supply pipes
- Ensure that there is no leakage in water supply pipes fitted in the house. To check water leaks, take reading of water meter before and after four hours when no water is not used. If there is change in meter reading, there is leakage in water supply pipes within the house.
- Insulate water pipes to get hot water faster and to save water and energy.
- Do not install water to air heat pump or air conditioning system. Air to air models are just enough efficient and do not waste water.
- Find leakage listening to on and off sound of pump kicks while the water is not in use since there is every possibility of water leakage through pump.
- Do not forget to check leakages in outside water supply pipes as we usually check indoor leakages in water supply pipes.
- Replace all waste household faucets by installing flow restrictors faucets.
- Clean driveway or street or side walk by using broom instead of using hosepipe to save 100 to 150 liters of water.
- Install sprinklers used for most efficient use of water. Micro and drip irrigation and soaker hoses are most water efficient methods of irrigation.
- Wash car and pets in lawn to water the lawn simultaneously.
General tips for saving water
- Install covers on pools and spas and check leaks around your pumps to minimize evaporation.
- Check your pool periodically for leaks if you have an automatic refilling device.
- Know the position of main/master water shut-off valve to save water and prevent damage to any part of the house.
- Utilize back flushing water of swimming pool to water your landscaping.
- Use one glass for drinking water daily or refill a water bottle and save water used for washing many glasses.
- Avoid recreational water toys that require a constant flow of water.
- Teach your children and servants water saving tips by telling them to turn off faucets tightly after use.
You can preserve the beauty of ceiling with regular cleaning. It keeps your room clean and ensures hygienic environment inside the house as well. This article gives some useful tips to keep the ceiling or room clean.
A small space looks tidy and large if items of daily use are organized properly in it. To create a spacious feeling, pick space saving colors, natural lighting and practical worktops for your space. This article identifies some easy and simple tips to make your room spacious.
Make your bathroom clutter free and organized using storage solutions. You can create storage spaces in walls, under sink, behind mirror and doors. See these tips to store accessories and make your bathroom clutter free.
If you want to make your kitchen clutter free and organized, create extra storage space by using cabinets, drawers, pantries, islands, racks and rails. Read this article to make your kitchen clutter free and organize kitchen items properly.
Are you getting bore of your cluttered living room? Use space saving articles of furniture to reduce clutter from your living room and make it organized. Read this article to know tips on clutter free living room.
Is your bedroom cluttered or messy? If yes, make your bedroom clutter free using several storage options. An organized bedroom is relaxing and gives serene look to the interior of your bedroom. Let’s find out various storage options to make bedroom clutter free.
Room dividers are not only used for partition purposes but also for privacy, decoration, and fun. Room dividers add colorful and attractive touch to the beauty of a room. Room divider may match to the interior decoration of house.
Fascinating themes, interesting and loving furnishing can cheer up the mood of your kids whereas pink color schemes for girls and blue schemes for boys give traditional feel. Always try to know the taste of your kids while you are going to ornament their room.
You can boost up your cooking pleasure by keeping your kitchen neat and clean. An organized kitchen gives pleasing looks and helps in making your recipes superb. Here are given kitchen cleaning tips to obtain gorgeous look of the kitchen.
It is a good idea to clean dirty carpets thoroughly for their long life.
Proper cleaning not only maintains the prettiness of house but makes it germ-free also. Read this article to know carpet cleaning tips
Organized things always offer highly stunning look to your kids room. It will make the space clean and clutter-free. With simple and easy organization ideas, you can make your kids’ room pretty. Influence your kids’ mind with active thoughts and also know their tastes while organizing a space for them.
Proper care and protection keeps wood furniture always appealing. If you want to maintain splendor of your wood furniture for long time, you need to be careful about your precious wood furniture that enriches your homes with unique beauty and elegance.
A kitchen equipped with enough storage options illustrates the style of modern kitchen. The most recent trend in kitchen organization is to utilize pull-out drawers and base organizers that definitely improve the look of your kitchen and home as well. Let’s find out clever storage ideas to make kitchen clutter free and organized.
To sit, relax, invite friends, watch TV or just chill out with the family; no matter how you dream about your living room, these organizing tips will help you design it better.
Regular cleaning in bathroom keeps you and your family free of germs. It strengthens your body and keeps you fit as well. Here are some simple tips to make your bathroom neat and clean.
Kota stone flooring is a subtle blend of grandeur and luxury giving the interior and exterior a gorgeous look.......
To get maximum ventilation and natural light in your house, make sure the building is properly oriented. Orientation of building saves energy and provides comfortable living as well. This article tells you about various factors and benefits of building orientation.
Preview some of the most impressive pictures of kitchen from GharExpert Gallery.
A solid roof on building is very important for everybody living in the house. The roof should be constructed in a way that assures you great safety. Here are given details about different types of roofing.
Frames of doors and windows are most important parts of your doors and windows. They are available in different size, height, width and shapes. Frames hold locks and hinges and support door and windows to shut and open easily. Here is what you need to know about different doors and windows frames.
Corner bed placement to save space
Space Saving Shelf in Bedroom
Water droplet resort
Water droplet resort
Application sketch - roof water proofing
PVC Water Stopper
Loose Rainy Water Pipes
PUT UR SHOES WALKING THROUGH WATER FLOORING
Water tank distance
Water tank cover
under water bedroom...
under water bedroom
Cherapunji - Water Falls
small space 60 sq. ft. bathroom
water level tool help in marking level lines for ceiling and flooring etc.
Wood Garden Fountain
Garden bird feeder
60" tv stand
Material for white wash
Under Ground Water Tank
RCC water Tank
Concrete Garden Fountain
30 X 60 = 1800 sq foot
Curved Garden Pathway
Animal Theme garden Fountain
Rose Weave Bird Bath.jpg
little swimming pool and water fall
Location of Water Sump
Use of bad quality water in construction cause this.
Under water world kids room paint ideas
Rain Water Pipe
Neat and Clean Garden
Painting- The Sleeping Beauty
Bathroom Plan for 60 sq feet space
Instant Electric Water Heater Faucet
GharExpert.com All rights reserved.