Guideline for Labor for Brick Tile masonry
In building construction, brick tile work is done for giving architectural view on the outer or exterior wall. The brick tile wall serves as load bearing wall with architectural look.
Brick Tile work
For enhancing the beauty of buildings, the exterior/exposed surface of wall is constructed with the brick tiles masonry. The brick tile masonry is constructed according to the architectural drawings. For elevation improvement architect provides in the outer wall drawing the brick tile masonry. The brick tiles are generally of 40 mm in thickness and length and breadth is according to the size of bricks i.e. 229x 111 mm. It is specified as230x 110 mm in IS1077.
The Brick tile wall also serve as load bearing wall and transfers the load of RCC beam, slabs and live load coming on it to the foundation of the wall.
Laying of brick tile work
As done in brick masonry, English bond is also suitable for brick tile masonry for all wall thickness. Brick tile masonry shall be laid by using brick tiles which was soaked in water and cement mortar. Lay cement mortar layer with the help of wooden strips on the damp-proof course or plinth beam. Lay the brick tile on the mortar bed. There should be no any loose material like dirt, set lumps of mortar on the surface of damp-proof course or plinth beam on which brick tile work to be freshly started. If any shall be removed with wire brush and surface to be wetted. While laying the brick tile sees the mortar bed is in full width and even. The brick tile should be set in position by gently pressing and should be in straight line with the help of thread and also in plumb. After completing one coarse of brick tiles all joints should be filled with mortar. Joints shall be fully filled and packed with mortar such that no hollow space is left inside the joints. The joint on the face of wall should be racked up to 10mm and surface to be cleaned with wire brush. The brick tile work should be kept wet at least for 7 days.
Common defects in brick tile work and cement mortar
- Raw materials like brick tile, sand, cement and water are of sub standard quality without qualifying any test.
- Dry Brick tiles are used without soaking in water properly.
- The joints in brick tiles works are thicker, unfilled properly.
- Joints are not raked properly.
- Brick tiles bats are used in masonry work.
- Mortar is not mixed properly on platform.
- There is improper mixing of cement mortar
- There is excessive water content in mortar
- Brick tile work is not in plumb, level and straight line.
- Mortar is not according to the structural requirements.
- There is high suction of brick tile and less water retention of mortar
- There are uneven joints in brick tile works
- There are voids in vertical joints
- There are disturbances of brick tile works just after the layout
- Over thick joints reducing the strength of brick tile work.
Precautions in brick tile work
- The length and width of the walls should be according to the drawings.
- The quality of brick tiles should be good having required strength and should not show any efflorescence (salt on face).
- The sand should not have fine grains and be free from silt etc. The sand used for brick mortar should be of required FM (Coarser) with no silt.
- The mixing of mortar should be proper with required quantity of water. It should not be dry or liquid.
- The brick tiles are soaked in water before use otherwise these will absorb water from the mortar and the bonding will be weak
- The water should penetrate to the core of the brick tile but the brick tile should be skin dry i.e. from outside when it’s used in actual.
- Minimum number of bats is used.
- Brick tiles are absolutely aligned horizontally and in a straight line. This can be checked by a stretched string across the face.
- The brick tiles are vertically aligned which can be checked with a plumb bob.
- The thickness of joints is not more than 1 cm.
- The joints should be filled with mortar fully without any gaps.
- Brick tiles work should be kept wet for seven days so that the mortar may gain its full strength.
- Brick tiles, sand and cement used in brick work should be according to their specifications
Tools recommended for brick tile work
- Wooden setting out square
- Spirit level
- Water level
- Boning rod
- Plumb rule
- Laying trowel
- Brick hammer
- Lump hammer and bolster chisel.
- Double end comb hammer
Do you know good brick bonds can ensure the strength of a building? Only you need to select appropriate bond for walls of your house. This article tells you about the options of brick bonds and their patterns.
A brick arch is constructed to cover openings like doors and windows in a building. Arches transmit above loads to the side of an opening. They are mainly provided for architectural appearance. Let’s read to know about a few arches, their designs and precautions.
Doors or Windows opening in walls are skilled part of construction in home, work are or any other structure. It needs very careful and technical construction team to work on. Read more about making door or window opening here.
Before starting brick work the following items should be checked:
While going for construction, do we know the Guideline meant for Labor for Brick Work in Super Structure? If not then read the article here.
We all know the importance of brickwork in any construction, So the article here describes the guideline meant for labor for brick work in foundation.
Kota stone flooring is a subtle blend of grandeur and luxury giving the interior and exterior a gorgeous look.......
To get maximum ventilation and natural light in your house, make sure the building is properly oriented. Orientation of building saves energy and provides comfortable living as well. This article tells you about various factors and benefits of building orientation.
Preview some of the most impressive pictures of kitchen from GharExpert Gallery.
A solid roof on building is very important for everybody living in the house. The roof should be constructed in a way that assures you great safety. Here are given details about different types of roofing.
Frames of doors and windows are most important parts of your doors and windows. They are available in different size, height, width and shapes. Frames hold locks and hinges and support door and windows to shut and open easily. Here is what you need to know about different doors and windows frames.
Different steel bars are recommended for their relative tensile stresses.Steel bars are major components of construction.Here is what you need to know about steel bars (Sariya).
Brahmasthan is a powerful zone of the house. It should have open space for flow of energy in the house. The positive energy is very useful for living beings of the occupants of the house.
Brick work is an important part of construction work done with the help of bricks and cement mortar. It is done with different quality of bricks with different ratios of cement mortar according to the requirement.
Are you remodeling your bathroom? Bathroom shower doors make your bathroom a style icon. Read the following article that will help you select the bathroom shower door that will exactly suit your bathroom.
Living room or Drawing room should be located in east or north direction. The ideal location of a living room depends on plot facing.
Without knowing perfect mixture of cement and sand you can not achieve your goal.
Manufacturing date, grade and type play vital role in purchasing right cement and there should be no lumps in it.
First Class Bricks must be homogeneous in texture without showing appreciable sign of efflorescence.
A coupler connects the two pipes to each other. If the material and size of the pipe are not the same,it is called a 'reducing coupler'.
Living Room Ceramic Floor Tile in Brick Design
mosaic tile border in tile flooring for dining room
sea stone masonry
Top view of bathroom interior shower enclosure, wash basin , wall tiles, floor tiles and toilet
exterior with stone masonry
Masonry ADZE tools
Sloped Ceiling over the bath tub in Bathroom, Wall tiles and floor tiles, Window design
Guidelines for Laying Cement Concrete Floor
Wardrobe design guideline
exposed brick wall design
Construction Material Brick
Nice Brick Work
Living Room with Brick Wall Texture
Thick Brick Wall ( load Bearing)
brick work and truss
Garden Pathway made of bricks
GharExpert.com All rights reserved.