Today people are looking for the ways to make their homes energy efficient and environment friendly. Making home energy efficient is to make your home green and pollution free. You can opt for natural ways to do activities at home and other places. This article tells you several ways to make your home energy saving and environment friendly.
1. Save electricity to reduce energy billsTo save electricity is to produce electricity. Saving electricity not only lowers electricity bills but also helps in making environment good. The following tips explain how to reduce electricity consumption.
Utilize natural and compact fluorescent lights (CFL)Make use of sunlight from doors, windows, ventilators and openings and enjoy the benefits of natural light. Compact florescent light, CFL bulb/ tubes are energy saving. These bulbs/tubes produce less heat and save energy required for thermal comfort. Clean lighting fixtures to maintain bright lighting. Light switches should be turned off when not in use.
Use energy efficient appliances Solar cooker and sun water heater save electricity. Exhaust fan should be installed at higher level to ceiling fan. Utilize electronic regulator for ceiling fan. Automatic temperature setting iron should be used. Do not iron wet clothes.
Purchase energy proficient productsEnergy efficient and latest products consume less energy despite their higher cost. Old appliances should be replaced by new ones which consume less energy than standard models with energy efficient models/appliances that bear “Energy Star Logo”.
Plug air leaks with doors, windows and wall openingsPlug all air leaks which commonly occur with doors, windows and other wall openings and joints etc. to prevent any effect of inside temperature.
2. Utilize good ventilation system to save energyNatural air and sunlight gives you a healthier life. You can save energy bills by using good ventilation systems.
Utilize maximum solar heat and ventilationGet maximum solar heat from your doors and windows during winter and save energy up to10% used for heating rooms. Similarly in summer prevent solar heat to enter the rooms/ house by hanging blinds, curtains and providing shades on doors, windows etc. and cut your cooling bills.Install windows towards the flow of natural air and fix exhaust fan into the opposite direction to remove out polluted air to minimize energy bills.
3. Apply thermal insulation technique on walls and roof
Apply thermal insulation methodThermal insulation method is the best possible way to save energy bills during summer and winter season. Thermal insulation on all outer walls of the house minimizes weather effects and saves energy.
Insulate roof to save energyThe roof of the house should be insulated to save the energy as the roof is most affected part which receives solar radiation throughout the day. Do top treatment on the roof helps in following two ways.
Damp proof course
4. Check temperature of the house regularlyAs the weather changes, we spend energy on heating and cooling our home. Here are given some tips to reduce energy bills.
Fix automatic thermostat deviceAutomatic or programmable thermostat is the best choice to make temperature changes automatically. You can reduce the temperature of thermostat during winter and increase during summer. By reducing the temperature below 20 degree centigrade (68 degrees Fahrenheit) in winter, you can save 3 to 5% heating energy for each degree of temperature. Keep thermostat at 78 degree Fahrenheit in summer to save energy.
Keep air filters of furnaces cleanClean air filters of furnace every month especially when it is much in use. Replace old furnace by new technology furnace which is about 25% more energy efficient.
Minimize the use of air conditionersCeiling fan should be used rather than air conditioner. Also utilize slow moving fans which consume less energy.
Use heat generating units timelyDo not make use of heat generating units during hot hours. Use them only in morning or evening.
Provide shade on opening of door and windowsThe shading should be provided on opening of doors and windows in the east and the west to save cooling energy. Wear light clothing during summer to maintain good health.
5. Conserve water to save lifeTo save water not only reduces water consumption bills but also conserve water resources for the survival of human beings for long time. The following are some simple ways to save water.
Install low flush water systemLow flush water requires 4 to 5 liters of water per flush. This amount of water is about 50% less in comparison to high level flush of pre 1990 model. Also replace old toilets with modern water efficient models.
Don’t waste tap waterTurn off water tap when you brush your teeth or apply shampoo or soap while taking bath. Wash fruits and vegetables etc. in a pot of water rather than in flowing water from the tap.
Adjust sprinklers to avoid wastage of waterSprinklers should be adjusted while watering lawn/garden to avoid wastage of water on sideways, street or the house.
Water plants in morning or eveningDo not water your lawn at noon especially in summer to minimize evaporation instead water the plants in morning or evening. You can collect rain water for watering lawns. You can wash cars and pets in lawn and water the lawn at the same time.
Check leakages in outdoor water supply pipesLeakages in outdoor water supply pipes should be checked rather than seeking them in indoor water supply pipes. Usually we forget to check leaks in outdoor pipes and pay attention on leakages in indoor water supply pipes.
Teach children and servants water saving tipsTeach your children and servants water saving tips such turning off faucets tightly after use. Don’t allow servants to clean driveways using hosepipe instead the driveway should be cleaned using brooms. Thus you can save about 100 to 150 liters of water. Dishwasher and clothe washer should be emptied only when they are full.
6. Plants trees to make home green/ environment friendlyGrow more plants using compost instead of synthetic fertilizers as compost helps in providing soil organisms, growing healthy plants and minimizing weeds problems. The following are some tips for green garden.
Grow more environment friendly plantsDo such plantation that is good for local environment and animals and require less water. Grow more perennial plants that live for more than a year and reduce the cost of plantation again and again.
Apply organic pest control method Make use of organic and physical pest control method and avoid toxic chemicals. Use boiling water to kill insects and weeds instead of using chemicals.
7. Make use of green transportationUtilize following tips to reduce the amount of carbon in environment and minimize energy expenditure on transportation
Use public transportation and fuel efficient carsMake use of public transportation or use bike as much as possible. You should walk on foot for very short distances. Share car with your friends. Change old model of your car by new fuel efficient model. Make use of all safety measures for consuming minimum fuel while driving car.
8. Use low volatile organic compounds (VOC)Volatile organic compounds releasing urea formaldehyde spontaneously; which is harmful to health should not be used. If it is necessary, use low V.O.C. products to maintain healthy indoor air for good health and reduce medicine bills. These are some steps for using low volatile organic compounds.
Make use of low VOC paintLow VOC paint should be used for painting your home. Check manufacturing details of paint before purchasing it. Make use of low VOC cleaning products for cleaning the house.
Don’t use particle boards for furnitureDo not use particle boards or medium density board for making kitchen cabinets, shelves and other articles of furniture because these boards have adhesives which release urea formaldehyde. Instead use pressed wood products obtained from timber.
Avoid wallpapers and ceramic tiles for flooringDo not use wallpapers and paneling on walls. Do not use ceramic tiles or asbestos for flooring because they contain harmful fibers. Only use hard material flooring to avoid this.
9. Make your kitchen green and environment friendlyAny toxic cleaning materials should not be used in kitchen as they are harmful to health. Use good quality appliances to save energy and time.
Keep petroleum based plastic away from kitchenDo not use or keep petroleum based plastic in kitchen; which is harmful to the health of whole family. Do not store chemicals or pests in kitchen cabinets.
Install chimney tested from recognized labFix chimney having modern design in your kitchen especially to make a green house. The chimney is tested from a recognized laboratory and flue is checked as well.
Don’t use particle board or fiber board or virgin plasticThe articles made from particle board or fiber board or virgin plastic must not be used in kitchen because they contain synthetic adhesive which is harmful to health. Instead, use natural hard wood or bamboo wood or recycled articles.
Make use of reusable bagsUtilize reusable bags made from cloths but never use plastic bags. Do not use paper or plastic articles used once to save trees instead use reusable articles such as mug, spoon, plate and food carrier etc.
Utilize water purifier and gas refrigeratorMake use of water purifier to filter water as most of diseases are spread by contaminated water. Also use sun frost or gas powered refrigerators to lower energy bills.
Fix proper window and exhaust for ventilationFix proper open able windows and exhaust to ventilate kitchen and it green.
10. Use organic materials to make your bedroom greenBed mattresses, pillows, bed sheets, curtains and other articles in bedroom are made from organic materials that do not have any bad effects on your body and help you remain healthy. Use the following tips to make your bedroom environment friendly.
Purchase good quality natural hard woodThe beds are made from best quality natural hard wood rather than particle board and fiber board etc which contain synthetic adhesives because such adhesives release urea formaldehyde and are harmful to health.
Use organic fabricsDo not use fabrics of synthetic fibers but use organic fabric products only. By using organic, cotton made clothes/articles; you will feel better and healthy. Cotton made clothes dissipate heat of the body and give you comfort in moisture also.