Guideline for Labor for Brick Work Foundation
Brick work is an important part of construction work done with the help of bricks and mortar. There are two important parts of the brick work one is MATERIAL and other is LABOR .The brick work can be done with cement mortar, lime and surkhi mortar and with mud mortar. Now a day’s brick work is done with cement mortar as cement and sand is easily available. Brick work is done in different parts of the building as in foundation, super structure and parapet etc.
Brick work in foundation
Foundation is the lowest part of the building, which transfers the load of super structure to the ground/ earth. There are mainly two types of foundation is done according to material, one is brick foundation and other is RCC foundation. For small work and building from 2 to 3 stories, brick work in foundation is done to transfer the load of super structure to the ground. The width of the brick work is in foundation is design according to the load coming on it and to keep in account the bearing capacity of soil. The load coming on foundation from super structure is divided into various steps of brick works in foundation below plinth level. Care may be taken that all steps should accommodate in the ground. The foundation should be made according to the drawing and design.
Laying of brick work in Foundation
Brick work shall be laid in English bond with the help of bricks soaked in water and cement mortar. Lay cement mortar layer 6mm to 9mm on the foundation concrete and on it laid the bricks with frog of brick on up side. While laying the bricks, the bricks should be in straight line with the help of thread and also in plumb. After completing one coarse of bricks on foundation concrete than lay the mortar on the brick coarse and repeat till up to the required height. The width of every course of brick in foundation is as according to the design of foundation. Reduce the width of next course to be laid according to the design. The width may be reduced as per design after one coarse or two or more as the case may be.
Common defects in brick work in foundation
- Raw materials like brick, sand, cement and water are of sub standard quality without qualifying any test.
- Bricks are not soaked in water properly.
- The joints in brick works are thicker, unfilled properly.
- Bricks bats are used in masonry work.
- Mortar is not mixed properly on platform.
- There is improper mixing of cement mortar
- There is excessive water content in mortar
- Mortar is not according to the structural requirements.
- There are voids in vertical joints
- There are disturbances of brick works just after the layout
- Over thick joints reducing the strength of brick work.
Precautions in brick work
- The length and width of the walls in foundation should be according to the drawings.
- The quality of bricks should be good having required strength and should not show any efflorescence (salt on face).
- The sand should not have fine grains and be free from silt etc. The sand used for brick mortar should be of required FM (Coarser) with no silt.
- The mixing of mortar should be proper with required quantity of water. It should not be dry or liquid.
- The bricks are soaked in water before use otherwise these will absorb water from the mortar and the bonding will be weak
- The water should penetrate to the core of the brick but the brick should be skin dry i.e. from outside when it’s used in actual.
- The frog or depression side of the brick should be upwards.
- Minimum number of bats is used.
- The thickness of joints is not more than 1 cm.
- Brick work should be kept wet for seven days so that the mortar may gain its full strength.
- Bricks, sand and cement used in brick work should be according to their specifications
Tools recommended for brick work
- Wooden setting out square
- Spirit level
- Water level
- Boning rod
- Plumb rule
- Laying trowel
- Brick hammer
- Lump hammer and bolster chisel.
- Double end comb hammer
- Straight edge
- Brick work gauge rod
Do you know good brick bonds can ensure the strength of a building? Only you need to select appropriate bond for walls of your house. This article tells you about the options of brick bonds and their patterns.
A brick arch is constructed to cover openings like doors and windows in a building. Arches transmit above loads to the side of an opening. They are mainly provided for architectural appearance. Let’s read to know about a few arches, their designs and precautions.
Doors or Windows opening in walls are skilled part of construction in home, work are or any other structure. It needs very careful and technical construction team to work on. Read more about making door or window opening here.
Before starting brick work the following items should be checked:
What is brick tile work? What are the guidelines for labor for brickwork in superstructure? Don’t worry about all these questions and read the article to find out the solution.
While going for construction, do we know the Guideline meant for Labor for Brick Work in Super Structure? If not then read the article here.
Kota stone flooring is a subtle blend of grandeur and luxury giving the interior and exterior a gorgeous look.......
To get maximum ventilation and natural light in your house, make sure the building is properly oriented. Orientation of building saves energy and provides comfortable living as well. This article tells you about various factors and benefits of building orientation.
Preview some of the most impressive pictures of kitchen from GharExpert Gallery.
A solid roof on building is very important for everybody living in the house. The roof should be constructed in a way that assures you great safety. Here are given details about different types of roofing.
Frames of doors and windows are most important parts of your doors and windows. They are available in different size, height, width and shapes. Frames hold locks and hinges and support door and windows to shut and open easily. Here is what you need to know about different doors and windows frames.
Different steel bars are recommended for their relative tensile stresses.Steel bars are major components of construction.Here is what you need to know about steel bars (Sariya).
Brahmasthan is a powerful zone of the house. It should have open space for flow of energy in the house. The positive energy is very useful for living beings of the occupants of the house.
Brick work is an important part of construction work done with the help of bricks and cement mortar. It is done with different quality of bricks with different ratios of cement mortar according to the requirement.
Are you remodeling your bathroom? Bathroom shower doors make your bathroom a style icon. Read the following article that will help you select the bathroom shower door that will exactly suit your bathroom.
Living room or Drawing room should be located in east or north direction. The ideal location of a living room depends on plot facing.
Without knowing perfect mixture of cement and sand you can not achieve your goal.
Manufacturing date, grade and type play vital role in purchasing right cement and there should be no lumps in it.
First Class Bricks must be homogeneous in texture without showing appreciable sign of efflorescence.
A coupler connects the two pipes to each other. If the material and size of the pipe are not the same,it is called a 'reducing coupler'.
GharExpert.com All rights reserved.