Guideline for labor in cement plaster
Plastering is done with cement mortar or lime surkhi mortar on the irregular or coarse textured wall, column and ceiling surface to provide a smooth, hard, level finish which can be painted for the shake of appearance.
On walls:-In addition to general roughness in the masonry, the joints shall be racked out to a depth of 10 mm for providing key to the plaster. Dust and loose mortar shall be brushed out. Efflorescence, if any, shall be removed by brushing and scraping. The surface shall be than thoroughly washed with water, cleaned and kept wet before plaster is commenced. To ensure true thickness and a true surface, plaster gauges 15x15 cm shall be applied horizontally and vertically at 2 meter interval and truly plane to plaster surface. After that plaster mortar shall be applied on the surface and after words the plaster shall be finish to a true and plumb surface and to the proper degree of smoothness as required. The work shall be tested frequently as the work proceeds with a true straight edge not less than 2.5 meter long. All horizontal lines and surface to be checked with level and all jambs and corners with a plumb bob as the work proceed.
The mortar used cement sand mortar or cement, lime and sand mortar used for finishing of wall, ceiling surface. The mortar is spread on the irregular surface of wall or ceiling and finish with the tool required for it.
The most common thickness of plastering on wall plane surface is 10-12mm and on rough side of 9’’ or 4.5’’ wall is 15 mm. where as more thickness is required i.e. 20 mm or more than the plaster done in two coats, one is under layer coat and top layer is finishing layer. The mix usually adopted for cement plaster is 1:3, 1:4, 1:6 and sand used for plaster should not have fineness modulus less than 1.4 to 1.5. In case where only fine sand is available, the fineness modulus is increased by adding coarse sand in the required ratio.
Laying of Plaster
- Cement plaster on ceiling/Roofing:-The smooth surface of roof/ ceiling shall be roughened by hackling or pock marking with pointed tool up to 3mm deep at 5 to 10 cm distance. All resulting dust and loose particles shall be cleaned off and washed with water. After curing the slab surface a thin coat of cement slurry is applied before starting the plaster. After applying mortar on the surface, the plaster shall be finish to a true and plumb surface and to the proper degree of smoothness as required. The work shall be tested frequently as the work proceeds with a true straight edge not less than 2.5 meter long.
Precautions to be taken at the time of plaster
- Fix all the fittings of electric pipes, water supply pipes, and electric boxes etc. properly as per drawing /requirement before starting the plaster work.
- Fit all the pipes so deep into the walls that the pipes can get proper thickness of mortar on them to avoid cracks in plaster surface.
- Make proper bond between the background and the plaster coat. Make surface of the wall clean, free from all racked mortar and dust etc. with the help of iron brushes.
- Wash and water the surface for 24 hours before the plaster is applied. Fix the reference mark (BUNDAS) on the walls truly in lines and plumb before starting the plaster. Ensure that all the edges of openings are round. Check the plaster frequently with straight edges and plumb bob.
- Do proper curing for at least 15 days to harden the plaster sufficiently and avoid the damage when watered.
- Mark proper dates on the plastered surface for proper curing .
- Protect all the fittings on the wall.
- Clean any splash of mortar on a finished surface immediately on completion of the work.
Plastering not only makes the surfaces smooth but creates a good finishing to the walls, ceiling and roofs also.
Without knowing perfect mixture of cement and sand you can not achieve your goal.
Unique 'Plastering' makes a difference and requires a lot of skills which are discussed here.
Handle the cracks in the walls initially because they can destroy smooth finishing of the plaster.
Create an amusing smoothness in 'Plastering' with some tips and enjoy dazzling surfaces.
In construction work plaster provides protection and decoration. Plaster work is important part of construction, which provides smooth, level and hard surface that can be painted to give good look. Read more about cement plaster checklist in article here.
Types of Plastering in Construction: 1.Sand faced plaster 2.Rough Cast Plaster 3.Pebbled dash plaster
Tools take 'Plastering' to its peak finishing and make it ready for use.
Do 'Plastering' only when you know proper time schedule to avoid cracks in future
Thickness of cement plaster varies and depends on individual taste. You can apply any one from this article.
Whether you deserve unique skills for 'Plastering' or you need to know them.
Raw material and scaffolding are backbone of 'Plastering' and provide necessary support in construction.
Kota stone flooring is a subtle blend of grandeur and luxury giving the interior and exterior a gorgeous look.......
To get maximum ventilation and natural light in your house, make sure the building is properly oriented. Orientation of building saves energy and provides comfortable living as well. This article tells you about various factors and benefits of building orientation.
Preview some of the most impressive pictures of kitchen from GharExpert Gallery.
A solid roof on building is very important for everybody living in the house. The roof should be constructed in a way that assures you great safety. Here are given details about different types of roofing.
Frames of doors and windows are most important parts of your doors and windows. They are available in different size, height, width and shapes. Frames hold locks and hinges and support door and windows to shut and open easily. Here is what you need to know about different doors and windows frames.
Different steel bars are recommended for their relative tensile stresses.Steel bars are major components of construction.Here is what you need to know about steel bars (Sariya).
Brahmasthan is a powerful zone of the house. It should have open space for flow of energy in the house. The positive energy is very useful for living beings of the occupants of the house.
Brick work is an important part of construction work done with the help of bricks and cement mortar. It is done with different quality of bricks with different ratios of cement mortar according to the requirement.
GharExpert.com All rights reserved.