Curtains for Your Homes
Spruce up your interiors with the enchanting shades of extensive curtains.
Tasteful displays of curtains involving upholstered furniture and cozy corners show just what can be achieved with the right colors and textures. The design patterns created are so vivacious that it will take the elegance of any interior to celestial height. Explore your creativity with the vibrant colors available and create an atmosphere of your choice. Select stylish and versatile curtains you can personalize it to suit your lifestyle.
Curtain with Valance
A valance attached with a curtain enhances the look and appearance of the curtain. Many valance designs are also available such as pleated valance, ruffled valance, and plain valance. If you are using a single valance on the top of the double panel curtains, tie backs or hold backs should be attached to open and close the curtain. Valance may be of same color or in contrast with the curtain.
Swag and Jabot Style
Swag and jabot style is a perfect choice for all types of rooms. The number of swags depends upon the width of the window. Single, double, three and more swags may be used. Stylish and decorative hardware such as poles (rods), rings, tiebacks give you an option to make up swags and jabots in a variety of styles.
Tab Top Style
For making the window a focal point, tab top style curtains are the best options which are suitable as well as decorative. These curtains are very easy to attach with the poles.
Pinch pleat stylePinch pleat curtains are very functional for all the rooms. These curtains are durable, control the light and provide privacy. Pleats are spaced at intervals so that the curtains present a manageable look. Four to six inches fabric is required for one pleat. These are very easy to close and open.
Lining StyleCurtains with lining remain for a longer time. Lining protects the curtain from direct sun light. The fabrics used are more prone to shrinkage, so dry cleaning is suggested for these curtains. Thermal lining curtains are helpful in keeping the room warm and may be used in the common room.
Unlined curtains are most traditional yet most adaptable as any kind of fabric may be used either in light weight or in heavy weight. They are easily washable and suitable for moist places like kitchens and bathrooms.
Grommet Top Style
Grommet top curtains are very much similar to the tab top curtains. Metal grommets or eyelets are attached to the head of the curtain at equal distance. These eyelets are pressed into the fabric and attached to a pole with the help of hooks. Eyelets may be of plastic, metal and wood.
Neither needle nor any thread is needed for this type of curtain. A bonding web, a hot iron, a damp cloth and curtain clips are required for no-sew curtains. Unlined or light weight fabric should be used for these curtains. Make a double border at the top of the curtain, apply the clip with the border and hang it with a pole or a curtain wire. Tips for color and fabric
- Some fabrics get faded if exposed to direct sunlight. Silk fabrics are the best for the rooms facing the south.
- Bright and vibrant colored curtains are good choice for the rooms facing North direction as these rooms are colder than the rooms facing the South.
- Large patterns should be avoided for small windows in small rooms as the room seems to be overwhelming.
- For kids’ room choose a fabric that inspire their creativity such as dolls fabric, fruit fabric, alphabet fabric, cake fabric, floral fabric, cartoon fabric, butterfly fabric, moon and star fabric.
- Pink curtains are the best choices for girls while red and blue for boys.
Fabric types for curtainsWhatever fabric you choose for your curtains, it expresses your personality and mood. A wide range of fabrics provide endless styles and effect to the room.
Jacquard and Damask Made of cotton, silk, wool and satin. Available in a variety of colors.
Brocade Rich, decorative and shuttle-woven fabric made of a combination of silk, wool or cotton.
Silk Soft, lustrous, shiny and luxurious fabric. Soothing colors but dry cleaning is preferred.
Taffeta Smooth woven fabric that appears shiny and maintains its' shape. It changes the colors from different angles and gives a very attractive look. Only dry cleaning is suggested for this type of fabric.
- Voile Light weight woven fabric, generally made of cotton or a combination of cotton, linen or polyester.
- Linen Highly absorbent, good conductor of heat and cool in touch. It gets softer when it is washed again and again. It creases easily.
- Velvet Made of the mixture of cotton, silk, viscose, polyester, acetate and other synthetic fibers. Only dry cleaning is preferred for this fabric.
- Satin Fabric that has glossy surface and dull back. Fibers of cotton, silk or linen are used to prepare the satin.
- Organdy Organdy is a sheer, cotton fabric having light weight. It is more prone to wrinkle and crashes. It is washed in acid for its' crispy finish.
- Muslin Finest woven cotton fabric that gives a very fresh feel.
Curtain AccessoriesGone are the days when we were stick to the color and pattern of the curtains' fabric. Accessories to decorate the curtains are given below:
Curtain pole is also known as curtain rod. It is an integral part of the curtain accessories. Poles are available in metal and wood.
Finials are the knobs made of plastic, wood and metal and are attached to the end of the designing curtain rails to hold the rings and hooks.
Curtain Tiebacks and Tassels
Curtain tiebacks are the fabric bands or cords that shape the curtain and hold them back away from the windows and doors.
Tassel is a bundle of threads bound at one end and loosely hung as an ornament. Rope tassels, beaded tassels and metal tassels are available in a wide range of sizes, styles and colors.
Curtain Hold Backs
These are decorative form of tiebacks and are used to attach the light weight fabrics permanently. These are usually made of metal and can have different decorative fittings at the ends.
Curtain rings are the means to connect the panels to the pole. For a decorative look, the color and finish of the ring should match the pole.
Curtain gliders are designed to fix poles and tracks. Gliders are made of plastic and metal.
Curtain BracketsCurtain brackets provide a support to fix the fitments into the wall. These are made of plastic or metal.
Note: Curtains add the touch of sophistication with their rich fabrics and wonderful colors. Appropriate curtain can make the window a focal point in the room.
For this you should come to know ‘what is in style?’ You need to know decorative as well as practical aspects. Whether your choice is traditional or contemporary, you can make your curtains a center of attraction by proper selection of hardware, fabric and style.