Linoleum flooring is a mixture of linseed oil, gums, resins, pigment, wood flour, cork dust and other filling materials. It is available in rolls and width about 1.80 meters or 3.60 meters and also available in tiles. The thickness varies from 2 mm to 6 mm, the greater values being adopted for floors subject to heavy wear as in case of shops, offices, hospital etc. Linoleum should be laid as an effective damp proof course. This type of flooring should confirm to IS 653 in all respects.
Adhesive used for laying linoleum flooring should be recommended by manufacturers of the floor covering and should confirm to specifications laid down for adhesive as IS 1198.
(This Picture is Contributed by "Condeliza')
Linoleum - a new trend
While Laying Linoleum Flooring
1. Base Coat under Linoleum Flooring:
Before laying flooring the base coat should be laid as follows.
- The earth should be properly compacted with the help of watering and ramming.
- Sand piling should be done, which helps to ensure proper compaction of the earth under floor.
- Lay 100 mm thick fine sand on compacted earth.
- After laying fine sand, lay 100 mm thick cement concrete in the ratio 1:8:16.
- It must be ensured that the base coat laid is fully compacted by hand rammers or with surface vibrator.
2. Leveling Concrete
- A layer of leveling concrete should be at least 25 mm thick.
- Cement concrete should be in the ratio of 1:2:4.
- It should be laid in proper slope and in level.
- It should be perfectly compacted.
- It should be cured for 7 days.
3. Top Layer of Linoleum Flooring
- Linoleum floor material should be stored in clean, dry and well ventilated place without exposure to direct sun light.
- Linoleum should be kept at a temperature not less than 20 degrees Celsius for at least 48 hours before it is unrolled.
- It should be unrolled and loose laid out flat for 2 to 3 days before it cut to sizes.
- Before laying the surface it should be clean and dry.
- The sheet should be cut to required size and shape with a sharp straight edge.
- Adhesive should be applied with the help of brush on the base of the floor.
- Then the sheet is firmly pressed down and is rolled with a light cast iron 70 kg roller to ensure whether the sheet sticks properly.
- The sheet should be fixed by keeping butt joints and the joints should be very fine.
- Sand bags should be placed over edges and the joints to keep the sheets should be pressed down to prevent curling.
- After laying the surface, it should be cleaned with soap and wet cloth and be wiped dry.
- The surface should be wax polished for smooth shining, but care should be taken that no excess polish is used to avoid floor slippery.
(This Picture is Contributed by "Condeliza")
Linoleum tiles in kithchen
Advantages of Linoleum Flooring
- This type of flooring is easy to clean and maintain.
It is less expensive.
- Linoleum flooring is durable and easy to maintain.
It is attractive in appearance.
- Linoleum flooring reduces the noise.
- Linoleum flooring is best suitable for shops, offices, laundries, children room and drawing room etc.
Disadvantages of Linoleum Flooring
- Linoleum flooring may dent or damage if large and sharp objects are dropped on the surface of it.
- It becomes dangerously slippery when high polish is applied on the surface.
- Linoleum flooring is highly flammable and catches fire easily.
- Linoleum flooring may get damaged if furniture legs are without rubber caps.
Epoxy flooring can be defined as several layers of any type of epoxy resin that is applied on a floor surface. This type of flooring may be used on both on the flooring of homes and Industries. Epoxy flooring has many advantages as it is slip resistance, durable, clean and easy to maintain and it comes in several colors as clean white, slate and silver grey and can also have a specific color.
A nice flooring lets your feet walk on it comfortably as well as adds to the beauty of the home. Flooring also reflect your lifestyle and traits. So dont go blindfolded for choosing the flooring. Here are details of diiferent types of flooring trend
Cork is a new option for flooring these days. Cork is made from oak tree and gives a natural feeling for flooring in home or for your work area. Find out more about cork flooring right here.
Bamboo flooring is noiseless and adds prettiness to interior of your home. It is tough, durable and environment-friendly. Here is what we should know about bamboo flooring.
Terrazzo flooring is popular for residential as well as public buildings since it is not slippery when wet.
Hardwood flooring is one of the expensive yet elegent flooring option. Its installation is not that typical but still needs a lot of care as a flooring not done carefully could get damaged quickly.
Concrete Flooring is one of the most cost efficient flooring techniques available to a home owner, here is all you will need to know for laying the cement concrete flooring.
Proper maintenance of flooring is required to retain the beauty of floors and home as well. The flooring preserved nicel
Flooring whether in drawing room or in living room is basic component and a good design of floor not only looks elegant but also reflects your life statement. Ceramic tiles are a good option for designer flooring. Find out more ceramic tiles flooring here.
Crazy marble floor is suitable for Drive way, Courtyard, Verandah etc. When marble flooring is installed in the main building the wastage and cut pieces can be utilized in laying this flooring.
Going for wooden block flooring and want to know how to do leveling of concrete in wooden block flooring, go through very helpful this article.
Floor tile design ideas are many. Within the home or business area, ceramic tiles can be used to enhance and beautify a
Special types of flooring--Linoleum flooring..............
A new floor needs daily cleaning and maintenance..............
The marble flooring is more durable...
Kota stone flooring is a subtle blend of grandeur and luxury giving the interior and exterior a gorgeous look.......
To get maximum ventilation and natural light in your house, make sure the building is properly oriented. Orientation of building saves energy and provides comfortable living as well. This article tells you about various factors and benefits of building orientation.
Preview some of the most impressive pictures of kitchen from GharExpert Gallery.
A solid roof on building is very important for everybody living in the house. The roof should be constructed in a way that assures you great safety. Here are given details about different types of roofing.
Frames of doors and windows are most important parts of your doors and windows. They are available in different size, height, width and shapes. Frames hold locks and hinges and support door and windows to shut and open easily. Here is what you need to know about different doors and windows frames.
Kids Room Linoleum Flooring
Linoleum Kitchen Floor Tiles
Linoleum Kitchen Floor
Wooden flooring on stairs and flooring
Living Room LCD unit, Furniture, wooden Flooring, Carpet, Floor Lamp
Kota stone Flooring in exterior flooring
Wooden flooring in drawing room
Living Sofa and Wooden Flooring
Basement, Ground and first floor planning
2BHK First Floor Plan
1BHK Floor Plan
1BHK Floor Plan
Bathroom Planning, Ceiling, Lighting, Vanity, Flooring, Bath tub and Interior
Decorative Lights in Luxrious Bedroom
modren bed room
Bathroom Interior, Flooring, Walls, Basin , Walls, Doors, Mirrors
Vinyl Flooring Design
Living room Ceiling, Lighting, LCD unit, Wall Unit, Furniture and Flooring
Perimeter Border Flooring
Contemporary living room
Kitchen Interior with Brown Concept
red colored tiles on floor in Dining room
Kids room interior, wardrobe, flooring, ceiling, furniture design
Living Room Ceiling and Flooring
Hardwood flooring with steel strips for open kitchen and living room
Ground Floor Elevation
Modern simple Bedroom
Elevation for Ground floor Bungalow
White Marble Tile Kitchen Floor
Bedroom Decoration and flooring
ROOF N FLOOR
Ceiling and flooring design for lobby
Marble floor design
Awesome Ceiling in Dining Room