Base course / Base coat under flooring
The purpose of flooring is to give a clean horizontal surface for occupants of the building, furniture and equipment and it should be strong enough to bear the dead load imposed on it. The floor should have adequate stiffness to remain reasonably stable and horizontal under super imposed loads. The strength of floor depends on the type of flooring and the structure of flooring i.e. the base under the floor. There are two main parts of the floor.
- Sub base,
- Base course / Base coat,
- Top finished layer / flooring.
Cement concrete 1:8:16
The strength of floor is depends on the strength of sub base. On weak sub base if floor is laid than it will be settle down. The strength of floor depends on the characteristics of the soil under the floor and the bearing capacity of soil. The soil under floor should be compacted well, so that there should be no loose pockets left any where in the area.
The purpose of the base concrete is to provide a smooth level surface at ground level on which a floor finish can be laid. Base course is laid in two parts
- 100 mm thick sand filling or stone filing. The sand should be clean and dry. Do not use silt or very fine sand mixed with rubbish. The use of sand is to keep out dampness and white ants. The sand should be free from clay, silt, sulphates, dirt and other harmful salts and organic impurities.
- 100 mm thick cement concrete 1;8;16 or cement concrete 1;6;12 or 1;4;8 as per requirement and strength of floor is laid. The thickness of cement concrete may be raised from 100 mm to 150 mm for heavy duty floor. The use of various mixes in detail is given below.
Where cement concrete 1:8:16 ratio is used it means 1 part of cement 8 parts of fine aggregate/ sand and 16 parts of coarse aggregate. This ratio cement concrete is very low in strength and is recommended for the following type of building and work:-
- Used in foundation of walls of ordinary and single story building.
- Used in foundation of semi permanent structure.
- Used in foundation of temporary structure.
- Used in foundation of toe walls.
- Used as base coat under floors and pavement.
- Used in foundation of boundary walls.
Where cement concrete 1:6:12 ratio is used it means 1 part of cement 6 parts of sand and 12 parts of coarse aggregate. This ratio cement concrete is low in strength and is recommended for the following type of building and works:-
- Used in foundation of two or three story buildings.
- Used in foundation of abetments, piers and retaining walls.
- Used in foundation where bearing capacity of soil low is obtained.
- Used as basecoat under taxi tracks, pavement and cement concrete road.
- Used as base coat in floor of stream in bridges and culverts.
- Cement Concrete 1:4:8
Where cement concrete 1:4:8 ratio is used it means 1 part cement 4 parts of sand/fine aggregate and 8 parts of coarse aggregate. This ratio cement concrete has medium strength and is recommended for the following type of buildings and works:-
- Used in foundation of multi story buildings.
- Used in foundation where low bearing capacity of soil is obtained
- In buildings where there is more vibration due to heavy traffic or running of factory.
- Under foundation of RCC columns, stairs, raft, RCC walls.
- Where water table is high.
- At the places where less depth of foundation available due to site condition.
- Air strips and taxi tracks base coat.
Epoxy flooring can be defined as several layers of any type of epoxy resin that is applied on a floor surface. This type of flooring may be used on both on the flooring of homes and Industries. Epoxy flooring has many advantages as it is slip resistance, durable, clean and easy to maintain and it comes in several colors as clean white, slate and silver grey and can also have a specific color.
Cork is a new option for flooring these days. Cork is made from oak tree and gives a natural feeling for flooring in home or for your work area. Find out more about cork flooring right here.
Bamboo flooring is noiseless and adds prettiness to interior of your home. It is tough, durable and environment-friendly. Here is what we should know about bamboo flooring.
Terrazzo flooring is popular for residential as well as public buildings since it is not slippery when wet.
Hardwood flooring is one of the expensive yet elegent flooring option. Its installation is not that typical but still needs a lot of care as a flooring not done carefully could get damaged quickly.
Concrete Flooring is one of the most cost efficient flooring techniques available to a home owner, here is all you will need to know for laying the cement concrete flooring.
Proper maintenance of flooring is required to retain the beauty of floors and home as well. The flooring preserved nicel
Flooring whether in drawing room or in living room is basic component and a good design of floor not only looks elegant but also reflects your life statement. Ceramic tiles are a good option for designer flooring. Find out more ceramic tiles flooring here.
A nice flooring lets your feet walk on it comfortably as well as adds to the beauty of the home. Flooring also reflect your lifestyle and traits. So dont go blindfolded for choosing the flooring. Here are details of diiferent types of flooring trend
Crazy marble floor is suitable for Drive way, Courtyard, Verandah etc. When marble flooring is installed in the main building the wastage and cut pieces can be utilized in laying this flooring.
Going for wooden block flooring and want to know how to do leveling of concrete in wooden block flooring, go through very helpful this article.
Floor tile design ideas are many. Within the home or business area, ceramic tiles can be used to enhance and beautify a
Special types of flooring--Linoleum flooring..............
A new floor needs daily cleaning and maintenance..............
The marble flooring is more durable...
Kota stone flooring is a subtle blend of grandeur and luxury giving the interior and exterior a gorgeous look.......
To get maximum ventilation and natural light in your house, make sure the building is properly oriented. Orientation of building saves energy and provides comfortable living as well. This article tells you about various factors and benefits of building orientation.
Preview some of the most impressive pictures of kitchen from GharExpert Gallery.
A solid roof on building is very important for everybody living in the house. The roof should be constructed in a way that assures you great safety. Here are given details about different types of roofing.
Frames of doors and windows are most important parts of your doors and windows. They are available in different size, height, width and shapes. Frames hold locks and hinges and support door and windows to shut and open easily. Here is what you need to know about different doors and windows frames.
GharExpert.com All rights reserved.